Event on 07 August, 2021
Seminar: Marie-Claire Seeley, Clinical Nurse Consultant
Topic: POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) in ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia and Post-Acute COVID Syndrome
Marie-Claire is a Clinical Nurse Consultant who, with Dr Dennis Lau, leads a multi-disciplinary practice which specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) in Adelaide.
Marie-Claire’s Master of Nursing research thesis focused on the functions and limitations of pulse oximetry in the clinical settings. She was forced to postpone her research career aspirations when poor health forced a two-year hiatus to research and clinical work. On her return to work in 2020 she felt passionately that her own 25 years of personal experience with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hEDS) should be used to contribute to research in this domain.
She has a keen interest in reducing time to diagnosis for those with POTS and in collaborating in research that focuses on improving outcomes for those living with POTS and hEDS. Marie-Claire is a PhD candidate with The Centre of Heart Rhythm Disorders, University of Adelaide, under the supervision of Assoc/Prof Dennis Lau, one of Australia’s leading experts in POTS.
Marie-Claire has been instrumental in the formation of The Australian POTS Foundation, which is committed to improving outcomes for those with POTS by raising funds for improved research, advocacy and support for those living with POTS.
Saturday 7 August, 2pm - Online, via Zoom
Call opens: 1:30pm (time to acquaint yourself with Zoom)
Seminar starts: 2:00pm
Following Claire's talk there will be the opportunity to ask questions and then half an hour where everyone can catch up socially.
Members will receive an email with the instructions on how to connect up via Zoom. If you would like help in setting up Zoom on your device before Saturday, please email email@example.com or ph 1300 128 339.
If you are not currently a member and would like to attend the seminar online, please join before 5pm on Friday 6 August. Membership is only $5.
If you are not able to join us on the day, members will be able to access a recording of Claire's talk, a written summary of the talk, as well as the slides from her presentation, in Member Resources.
- Seeley MC, Thynne TR, Braund WJ, Worthley DL, Gallagher C, Sanders P, et al. Desmopressin as a novel long-term treatment in postural tachycardia syndrome patients with polyuria. Am J Med. 2021.
- Seeley M-C, Lau DH. Raising the bar in postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome research: Evidence and challenges. Autonomic Neuroscience. 2021:102790.
- Seeley, M.-C., McKenna, L., & Hood, K. (2015). Graduate nurses’ knowledge of the functions and limitations of pulse oximetry. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24(23-24), 3538-3549. doi: 0.1111/jocn.13008
- 2021: “Standing up to POTS” Research Grant - $100 000 (USD): Long Covid Syndrome and POTS
- 2021: The Awesome Foundation Grant $1000: POTS patient video
Last edited: 09 July, 2021